Skip to main content

Nothing Gained (1-3-18)


At a certain age, all children are given a superpower of their choice. When it is your turn,
you ask for nothing. [Link to post.]

“Welcome! Uh…,” The case worker rifled through my file to find my name as I sat down in
the chair across the desk from her. “Roman … Candle?” A slight giggle escaped her blue
pastel lips. I nodded.


“Yeah, my parents think they have a sense of humor. I’m just glad I was born after my sister, Birthday.” She chuckled.


“Well, Roman. You’ve been sent to me because of your, odd request. You’ve requested nothing, is that right?” She gave me her best smile, to try and
put me at ease. I knew better. The evaluation began as soon as I stepped through the door.
I nodded casually.


“That’s right. My physical and intelligence scores are in the top 1% of the country. I’ve worked
very hard, and according to my scores I can ask for any power I want.” I’d learned from Birthday’s
mistakes. My sister coasted through school and when she chose her power, the bureau only
offered her physical abilities. She was destined for a life of manual labor. A higher rank unlocked
more skills and career options. The case worker nodded at me and shuffled the papers around to
bring up my aptitude scores.


“I see. Yes, you are certainly a hard worker. High school valedictorian at 9, and you’ve recently
graduated college with honors?” She moved to the next sheet. “Wow. Double major in physics
and philosophy. Extracurriculars include plenty of volunteer work, and you’ve got a recommendation
from Sergeant Mighty?” She smiled broadly as she glanced through the rest of the pages.
“You’re quite the impressive young man,” she said. I shrugged.


“My mom used to date him, and she made me put that in there.” They knew that already,
of course. She was testing my honesty. She nodded at my response, and I knew I passed that test.
Finally she put the file away and looked at me directly. Her eyes glowed purple. I breathed slowly,
calmly while she read my aura.


“What made you decide to make this specific request?” she asked. The purple glow faded from her
eyes leaving them the same light pink they were when I walked in.


“I didn’t even know it was an option until a conversation with the Sergeant one night. He said it
was hard to be special in a world where everyone was special. He went on to list the pros and cons
of various powers he’s dealt with while heading the police force. He mentioned some powers I
didn’t even know existed, it really made me think.”

“And after all that thinking, this was your answer? Nothing?” She asked. I nodded and gave her my
best smile. Unlike me, she fell for it. I saw a glimmer of a smile behind her eyes. I knew I’d have her
with my next comment.


“I’ve already proven I can contribute to society without powers.” I sat up straighter. She smiled and
stood up.


“You’re definitely an amazing young man. I see no reason not to grant you your request.” Her
voice became stern. “You’re very bright, so I’m sure you know this. However, as a formality I need
to remind you that this is a one time choice. If I approve this for you, you absolutely cannot change
your mind later. I can give you more time to consider your options, but once I approve a decision,
it’s permanent. Would you like more time?”


“No. This is my final decision. Nothing.” I stood up and smiled at her again. “I’ve given it a lot of
thought. I’m sure.” She reached her hand across the desk and handed me a golden coin. I
submitted the golden coin as my totem, along with the paperwork for my power. When I touched the
coin it began go glow a deep, dark purple. Almost black.


“Congratulations, Roman. You’re the first person to be approved for Nothing in 40 years. I have no
doubts you will use it for good!” She smiled as she walked around the desk to give me a congratulatory
hug. I enjoyed the warm embrace for a second. I was so happy, it was finally mine!  I whispered sweetly
into her ear while we hugged.


“You really should have some doubts.” She disappeared from my arms into a tiny black speck, and then
she blinked out of existence.


“Nothing can stop Nothing!” I laughed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Jitters (6-23-18)

[WP] You are the greatest villain in the world. When you come face to face with your only rival, he says, “Do you want to grab a coffee before we start? I’ve haven’t eaten all day.” [ Link to post .] "I'm so glad you said something, I started late today too," The Shade said. He patted the heavy, dark leather coat over his stomach, then leaned closer to whisper at SunKnight. "Kayla's teeth are coming in, and Lucille's out of town for that thing." He shrugged, then pulled off his black, featureless hood. "I needed an extra 40 winks. Let's do a lunch, meet me at the pizzeria in 20." Keith Slinny, the man under The Shade's mask checked his watch. The rest of his black costume dissipated from his body; black smoke wafted from him like steam escaping a body in winter. "At this point, we'll end up putting it off until tomorrow so I need to book the babysitter now." "The wedding's tomorrow, remember? Let's take t

Truth and Fries (6-27-18)

[WP] Survivors of the apocalypse are still fighting for their lives; Whataburger seems to be doing alright though. [ Link to post .] "And, why do you want to work at Whataburger?" Albert Guajardo, General Manager, asked the prospective employee, Rigo Reyes, while trying to size him up. The young man sat in the booth across from Albert, wearing his best protective gear. A set of high-school football pads, and heavily wrapped arms. His cracked football helmet rested on the table.  "My girl's pregnant. I can't help rebuild humanity if I can't provide for them," Rigo said. It was not true, but it would be if he got the position. He did not have a girlfriend at the moment, but no Whataburger employee suffered loneliness for long. Even the perimeter guards that kept zombies out of the restaurant got paid enough food to support a family of four.  "Can you start now?" Albert asked. Rigo nodded eagerly, but Albert explained the situation anyway.

OooooooooooooooH. (6-28-18)

[CW] A short story with a plot twist using the letter "o" exactly 15 times. [ Link to post .] "Fredericks!" the guard yelled at the cell's inhabitants. A tall, plump man walked near the bars, his steps echoed in the cell. "That's me," Lenny Fredericks said. The guard let him pass.  "Lawyer's here, this way." The guard grabbed  Lenny's arm and guided him through the maze of walls that made up the station. He sat Lenny at a table facing a brunette woman in a black suit.  "Mr. Fredericks, I'm the lawyer handling this case. My name is Erica Quintanilla." The lawyer presented her hand, and Lenny accepted it with an eager shake.   "Nice'ta meet'cha." Lenny said. After they disengaged their handshake, Erica placed Lenny's file between them, then started her interview while scanning the sheets.  "Mr. Fredericks,-" she began. "Call me Lenny," Lenny suggested. She return