Skip to main content

The Rundown (2-6-18)


You're just an average guy with a passive super power - whenever something is about to hurt you, time slows to a crawl so you can escape to safety. You've been running for 5 minutes now, time is still moving like molasses. [Link to post.]

If nothing else, feeling like an idiot while running for your life is a new experience. I chalked things up to blind luck at first, but it kept happening. Whenever I was in serious danger, things somehow slowed down; it gave me time to find a safe spot. It did not take long until I took it for granted, and got lazy about watching for danger. But I never thought about it. I never said to myself, "Self. You should learn more about this awesome thing you can do." I definitely regretted it. But if nothing else, running for the past five minutes has been educational. Now I knew why everyone I passed appeared to be standing still. I turned back to check if she was still following me. She was. 

The young woman kept up with me somehow. Her arms swung left and right as she skated close behind me. I'd never seen skates like hers. The wheels of her rollerblades left behind short golden trails. Thin ribbons of light of faded into nothing a couple of feet behind her. On those skates she was as fast as me. It figures I'd realize my power was super speed on my last day. Half an hour ago I sat in a pizza shop enjoying some lunch while studying, then she walked up to my table. 

"Hi, I'm Jenny." She pulled off the hood of her gold and purple hoodie to reveal short spikey black hair. Then she reached a hand out a gloved hand to greet me. The glove was black with golden fingers. I grasped it and the golden parts felt like cool metal against my hand.

"Hi Jenny. I'm Frank." Jenny sat down in the booth across from me. "What's going on?" I asked. 

"Frank, I've been watching you for a while." She leaned forward over the table. "I know what you can do." She surprised me. I'd never really tried to keep my ability a secret, but since I couldn't use it at will there was no point in showing it off. 

"So?" I asked. 

"*You* don't know what you can do. It's frustrating," She flicked a crumb off the table. "I'm so bored here!" She whined at me like a kid sister expecting her older brother to fix the situation.

"So? Go find some entertainment. You don't have to bother strangers." I tried shooing her away, she laughed. 

"Your head is on pretty straight for a 14 year old. How about you entertain me?" She asked. I caught a sparkle of gold in her eyes, but chalked it up to a reflection from the intimate lighting in the pizzeria. 

"Can't. Studying." I turned my attention back to my laptop in the hope that she'd leave. 

"Wait." She reached across the table and grabbed my hand. "I want to show you something." She sat up straight and scanned the restaurant. Another couple in a corner sharing a work lunch were the only other patrons in the restaurant. The focused on each other, and couldn't see us if they did look our way. 

Jenny held my right hand with her left on the wooden table. My palm faced up toward Jenny's right hand; it hovered in the air above mine. 

"Check it," Jenny said. Her eyes focused on the fingertips of her right hand. A thin golden blade appeared behind her fingers. 

"I catch you..." Time slowed down. I felt my power kick in while I watched her stab the golden blade toward my hand. I yanked my hand away just in time and she stabbed her own hand. I moved quickly to grab napkins for the blood. I expected her to scream in pain, but she finished her thought instead. "... I kill you." She showed me the wound in her hand. I saw right through the hole, with no sign of any blood anywhere. The hole filled itself in until her hand was whole again. "GO!" She took another swing at me wit the knife, and I ran out of the restaurant. 

She chased me around the world, skating across the ocean on golden light. 10 minutes after we started I tripped. In some back alley in Las Vegas, some idiot left a small pail full of red and white dice in my way. Jenny was gaining on me, and I'd been splitting my focus. I tried to dodge the pail and stepped wrong. I twisted my ankle while running at top speed, and the pain forced me to the ground.  

"Are you okay?" Jenny ran to my side. 

"Stay back!" I tried crawling away backwards. I reached behind me to gain ground and grabbed something smooth, thin and scaly. It undulated like a snake under my hand.

"Ready to go?" I heard a man's voice behind me. I turned and found my hand holding on to a white snakeskin boot. I looked up at the owner of the foot in the boot. He looked like a short guy, though he tried making up the difference with a tall blue mohawk. 

"Vegas! I told you I could get him by myself!" 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Jitters (6-23-18)

[WP] You are the greatest villain in the world. When you come face to face with your only rival, he says, “Do you want to grab a coffee before we start? I’ve haven’t eaten all day.” [ Link to post .] "I'm so glad you said something, I started late today too," The Shade said. He patted the heavy, dark leather coat over his stomach, then leaned closer to whisper at SunKnight. "Kayla's teeth are coming in, and Lucille's out of town for that thing." He shrugged, then pulled off his black, featureless hood. "I needed an extra 40 winks. Let's do a lunch, meet me at the pizzeria in 20." Keith Slinny, the man under The Shade's mask checked his watch. The rest of his black costume dissipated from his body; black smoke wafted from him like steam escaping a body in winter. "At this point, we'll end up putting it off until tomorrow so I need to book the babysitter now." "The wedding's tomorrow, remember? Let's take t

Truth and Fries (6-27-18)

[WP] Survivors of the apocalypse are still fighting for their lives; Whataburger seems to be doing alright though. [ Link to post .] "And, why do you want to work at Whataburger?" Albert Guajardo, General Manager, asked the prospective employee, Rigo Reyes, while trying to size him up. The young man sat in the booth across from Albert, wearing his best protective gear. A set of high-school football pads, and heavily wrapped arms. His cracked football helmet rested on the table.  "My girl's pregnant. I can't help rebuild humanity if I can't provide for them," Rigo said. It was not true, but it would be if he got the position. He did not have a girlfriend at the moment, but no Whataburger employee suffered loneliness for long. Even the perimeter guards that kept zombies out of the restaurant got paid enough food to support a family of four.  "Can you start now?" Albert asked. Rigo nodded eagerly, but Albert explained the situation anyway.

OooooooooooooooH. (6-28-18)

[CW] A short story with a plot twist using the letter "o" exactly 15 times. [ Link to post .] "Fredericks!" the guard yelled at the cell's inhabitants. A tall, plump man walked near the bars, his steps echoed in the cell. "That's me," Lenny Fredericks said. The guard let him pass.  "Lawyer's here, this way." The guard grabbed  Lenny's arm and guided him through the maze of walls that made up the station. He sat Lenny at a table facing a brunette woman in a black suit.  "Mr. Fredericks, I'm the lawyer handling this case. My name is Erica Quintanilla." The lawyer presented her hand, and Lenny accepted it with an eager shake.   "Nice'ta meet'cha." Lenny said. After they disengaged their handshake, Erica placed Lenny's file between them, then started her interview while scanning the sheets.  "Mr. Fredericks,-" she began. "Call me Lenny," Lenny suggested. She return