Skip to main content

Dinner Rush (6-12-18)


[WP] On Tindr, you see a picture of the cutest girl you've ever seen. She looks so friendly and nice, and every outfit has a different flower pattern. Your interests look to be the same: there's only one problem. Her job is listed as "the God of Death." You think it's funny. But now you've matched. [Link to post.]

I arrived at the pizzeria ten minutes early, hoping to find a good spot to wait for her. However, once in the restaurant a beautiful dark haired young woman waved me over. She stood and hugged me as I reached the table.

"Hi Louis," she smiled at me, then sat down. 

"Hey Jersey, great to meet you." I sat down across from her while admiring her outfit; a form fitting black dress with silver buttons. We made small talk until the waitress took our order. When it looked like we would not be interrupted for a bit I decided to dig deeper. 

"So, God of Death, huh? How's that working for you?" I asked. A red streak overtook her face. She focused on rolling up the white straw wrapper between her fingers and answered without looking up. 

"Slight exaggeration," she said. Her blush intensified, but her eyes stayed focus on the straw wrapper. "I'm only an intern." Her voice sounded worried, as if I'd call off the date then and there. I smiled.

"Hey, you've got your foot in the door. That's a step ahead of most," I said. "It's fine to be excited, I remember what it was like." I watched her gaze slide up from the small wad of rolled up trash in her hands to me, an odd half smirk appeared at the side of her mouth.

"You're a God of Death?" She whispered with awe. I nodded.

"Yeah, about four years now."

"What's it like? Is it awesome? I bet it's awesome, right?" She sat up straighter in her seat, her eyes sparkled while her questions flowed. 

"It's work. Hard, dangerous work. But it's also the best job I've ever had," I smiled. "What's your  focus?" 

"I haven't committed to it yet, but I'm eyeing Elementalist," she said. She no longer played with the straw wrapper, I had her full attention. 

"That's a good one," I nodded. "Here's a piece of advice, because I saw a lot of Elementalists wash out. There are more than four elements; don't focus too much on earth, wind, water, and fire or you'll end up neglecting the other ones." Her mouth hung open, then she let out a small chuckle under her breath. 

"Wow, you're so right!" she said. "I was already doing that, but I didn't realize it until you mentioned it. Thanks!" She hopped up from her seat and ran around the table to give me another hug. Our waitress brought the pizza as Jersey took her seat again. 

"So what was your hardest case so far?" she asked while each of us grabbed slices onto our plates. 

"They're all hard in different ways, but I'll tell you about the most fun one," I said. She smiled at me with her mouth full of pizza. Before I continued a beeping sound began repeating from my pocket. "Ah geeez, I'm sorry," I said. I half stood in the booth to reach into my pocket, then pulled out a small rectangular gadget. The front of it was lit up with numbers counting down, and a flashing red dot.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I stood up. "Sorry to disturb you, but this is official business." I pulled my badge out and showed it around the restaurant. "Please evacuate in an orderly manner, a fissure is due to open here in the next few minutes." The patrons made their way out of the restaurant, followed by the staff. 

"Be careful please, it's all I have," the owner asked me as she left the restaurant. I tried to reassure her with a nod. Once all the citizens left Jersey began to excuse herself too.

"Well, it sucks about work, but I hope we can do this again," she said. 

"Where are you going?" I asked, but did not give her time to answer. "You're an intern right, so gear up and start interning." 

"Really?" she asked excitedly. "I've never done field work before." A sharp, high pitched sound rang through the air. We looked for the source and found a small glowing red crack appeared; it hovered in the air. I nodded at Jersey. 

"Yeah, let's see what you got." I reached under my coat with both hands and pulled out a silver revolver in each hand. Jersey noticed while she put on her gloves. 

"Oh you're a gunslinger?" She asked. "Nice." The sharp noise sounded again, the red crack in reality grew. It spidered through the air. I answered her while I checked my guns. 

"Spellslinger, but close enough." When I felt ready I walked over to stand in front of the red crack. Then, I turned and looked at her. "Sorry about the date, maybe we can try again?" I asked. She shook her head.

"No way, this is awesome. The best first date ever." She leaned over and pecked me on the cheek. "There'll definitely be a second one." The gadget counting down buzzed. I focused my attention on the red crack in time to watch reality shatter around it like glass. A big, glowing red portal hovered in the air.

"Get ready," I said and pointed my guns at the portal. "They don't wait." As I said that the first zombie came running out of the portal, followed by several more. I began firing spells at them as they came through. 

"Protect the Earth by killing zombies?" I heard Jersey ask herself while she set some zombies on fire. "I'm going to love being a Death God." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Jitters (6-23-18)

[WP] You are the greatest villain in the world. When you come face to face with your only rival, he says, “Do you want to grab a coffee before we start? I’ve haven’t eaten all day.” [ Link to post .] "I'm so glad you said something, I started late today too," The Shade said. He patted the heavy, dark leather coat over his stomach, then leaned closer to whisper at SunKnight. "Kayla's teeth are coming in, and Lucille's out of town for that thing." He shrugged, then pulled off his black, featureless hood. "I needed an extra 40 winks. Let's do a lunch, meet me at the pizzeria in 20." Keith Slinny, the man under The Shade's mask checked his watch. The rest of his black costume dissipated from his body; black smoke wafted from him like steam escaping a body in winter. "At this point, we'll end up putting it off until tomorrow so I need to book the babysitter now." "The wedding's tomorrow, remember? Let's take t

Truth and Fries (6-27-18)

[WP] Survivors of the apocalypse are still fighting for their lives; Whataburger seems to be doing alright though. [ Link to post .] "And, why do you want to work at Whataburger?" Albert Guajardo, General Manager, asked the prospective employee, Rigo Reyes, while trying to size him up. The young man sat in the booth across from Albert, wearing his best protective gear. A set of high-school football pads, and heavily wrapped arms. His cracked football helmet rested on the table.  "My girl's pregnant. I can't help rebuild humanity if I can't provide for them," Rigo said. It was not true, but it would be if he got the position. He did not have a girlfriend at the moment, but no Whataburger employee suffered loneliness for long. Even the perimeter guards that kept zombies out of the restaurant got paid enough food to support a family of four.  "Can you start now?" Albert asked. Rigo nodded eagerly, but Albert explained the situation anyway.

OooooooooooooooH. (6-28-18)

[CW] A short story with a plot twist using the letter "o" exactly 15 times. [ Link to post .] "Fredericks!" the guard yelled at the cell's inhabitants. A tall, plump man walked near the bars, his steps echoed in the cell. "That's me," Lenny Fredericks said. The guard let him pass.  "Lawyer's here, this way." The guard grabbed  Lenny's arm and guided him through the maze of walls that made up the station. He sat Lenny at a table facing a brunette woman in a black suit.  "Mr. Fredericks, I'm the lawyer handling this case. My name is Erica Quintanilla." The lawyer presented her hand, and Lenny accepted it with an eager shake.   "Nice'ta meet'cha." Lenny said. After they disengaged their handshake, Erica placed Lenny's file between them, then started her interview while scanning the sheets.  "Mr. Fredericks,-" she began. "Call me Lenny," Lenny suggested. She return