Skip to main content

Good Guy Dragon (11-14-17)

After rescuing the princess from the dragon, the king angrily tells you, "No, you idiot! I wanted you to rescue the DRAGON!" [Link to post.]

“Arguably I did. You have met the Princess, correct your Highness?” I bowed low. My status as the King’s champion allowed my manners some wiggle room. Anyone else saying that about the Princess would be put to death. The king nodded at me.

“Fair point.”

“DADDY! THAT’S SO RUDE!” The Princess yelled and stormed out of the great hall. The king laughed and waved me closer. I stepped nearer to his elegant throne.

“Did you present my request to the dragon?” He asked. I pulled an ivory fang from my bag. It was as long as my forearm, and almost as thick.

“He agreed and sent this fang along with instructions. You must grind up the tooth and serve her a teaspoon of powdered dragon fang in a cup of fairy wing tea every night until the powder runs out. He said that will help the princess *unwind*. I whispered to him the dragon’s instructions, careful not to let any of the royal guards know.

As spoiled as the princess was, she had a fair amount of guards wrapped around her finger. They would warn her of any perceived danger, even though the King and I were just trying to help. The dragon was wise, and often helped address behavioral problems. Originally the dragon had agreed to a month long visit from the princess. After two weeks he said he’d seen enough and the King sent me to fetch his daughter.

“Daddy!” The princess walked back into the hall. “I’m going to have a feast tonight, okay? All my friends want to hear the story of how I suffered so much as the dragon’s prisoner. Don’t come out of your room, okay? They’re coming to see me, not you.” She disappeared again, taking a couple of guards with her. She likely enlisted them to decorate.

“You do it.” The king said. Sadness took over his eyes. “I need a break, I leave you as king in my stead.”

“Your Highness! You can’t do that. I’m honored, but I’m no one’s leader.” The king placed a frail hand on my shoulder. “You lack faith in yourself, but I see greatness in you. However, do not misunderstand. This is only a temporary arrangement,” he waved me closer. No guards, but he still felt safer whispering it directly in my ear.

“I am going to take a vacation and stay with the dragon.” He stopped abruptly when the princess walked into the room again, with a squad of maids following her.

“DADDY! LEAVE! They need to try and clean up your shitty castle. Gods, the dragon’s cave was more elegant.” She left the room and the maids got to work. The king stood from his throne, and gestured for me to follow him.

“Walk with me.” I helped him step down and we walked down the hall towards his bed chamber. He walked close enough to maintain his whisper. “I leave you in charge of helping the princess unwind. Make sure she gets her tea daily. If you can’t find fairy wings at the market,...” the king went silent, but I knew what he meant. He could not directly order me to kill fairies for wings.

“Yes, your majesty.”

“One more thing,” he said when we reached his chamber. “I am going to take a long, enjoyable vacation. When I return I expect my daughter to treat me with respect as her father, not the king.” He placed a frail hand on my shoulder and looked into my eyes.

“I will return home to be respected in my own castle. Or I will not have a daughter when I return.” He nodded at me slightly. Our eyes locked for a second.

“Yes, your majesty.” I understood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Jitters (6-23-18)

[WP] You are the greatest villain in the world. When you come face to face with your only rival, he says, “Do you want to grab a coffee before we start? I’ve haven’t eaten all day.” [ Link to post .] "I'm so glad you said something, I started late today too," The Shade said. He patted the heavy, dark leather coat over his stomach, then leaned closer to whisper at SunKnight. "Kayla's teeth are coming in, and Lucille's out of town for that thing." He shrugged, then pulled off his black, featureless hood. "I needed an extra 40 winks. Let's do a lunch, meet me at the pizzeria in 20." Keith Slinny, the man under The Shade's mask checked his watch. The rest of his black costume dissipated from his body; black smoke wafted from him like steam escaping a body in winter. "At this point, we'll end up putting it off until tomorrow so I need to book the babysitter now." "The wedding's tomorrow, remember? Let's take t

Truth and Fries (6-27-18)

[WP] Survivors of the apocalypse are still fighting for their lives; Whataburger seems to be doing alright though. [ Link to post .] "And, why do you want to work at Whataburger?" Albert Guajardo, General Manager, asked the prospective employee, Rigo Reyes, while trying to size him up. The young man sat in the booth across from Albert, wearing his best protective gear. A set of high-school football pads, and heavily wrapped arms. His cracked football helmet rested on the table.  "My girl's pregnant. I can't help rebuild humanity if I can't provide for them," Rigo said. It was not true, but it would be if he got the position. He did not have a girlfriend at the moment, but no Whataburger employee suffered loneliness for long. Even the perimeter guards that kept zombies out of the restaurant got paid enough food to support a family of four.  "Can you start now?" Albert asked. Rigo nodded eagerly, but Albert explained the situation anyway.

OooooooooooooooH. (6-28-18)

[CW] A short story with a plot twist using the letter "o" exactly 15 times. [ Link to post .] "Fredericks!" the guard yelled at the cell's inhabitants. A tall, plump man walked near the bars, his steps echoed in the cell. "That's me," Lenny Fredericks said. The guard let him pass.  "Lawyer's here, this way." The guard grabbed  Lenny's arm and guided him through the maze of walls that made up the station. He sat Lenny at a table facing a brunette woman in a black suit.  "Mr. Fredericks, I'm the lawyer handling this case. My name is Erica Quintanilla." The lawyer presented her hand, and Lenny accepted it with an eager shake.   "Nice'ta meet'cha." Lenny said. After they disengaged their handshake, Erica placed Lenny's file between them, then started her interview while scanning the sheets.  "Mr. Fredericks,-" she began. "Call me Lenny," Lenny suggested. She return