Skip to main content

Ghosted (4-12-18)


[WP] An abandoned baby was found in your doorstep. As they grow up, you start noticing the increase of supernatural activities in your house. [Link to post.]


"I can't do it anymore," I said as we drove home. We were supposed to be enjoying our anniversary at a hotel for the night, but instead another babysitter freaked out and needed us home right away. The teenager threatened to just leave Lily there and walk out, but another $100 convinced her to stay for a couple of hours until we made the drive back. I didn't need to elaborate, my wife knew exactly what I was talking about.

"She's our daughter," my wife said. I shook my head. 

"She's an orphan. And now we know why her parents didn't want her," I regretted it as soon as the words came out, but I didn't know how to take them back. My wife remained silent. She was the most understanding woman I'd ever met, but I knew I'd find the end of her patience some day.

"You can't deny she's gotten worse. Things like the floating bottles and dancing dolls were creepy, but easy enough to deal with. Now that she can walk, it's hard enough just to keep track of her. Lord knows how she gets up on the ceiling." I stared ahead at the dark road beyond the bright golden headlights. 

"So you're gonna leave me alone with her, and make it harder on me?" My wife asked flatly. 

"What if we turn her in?" She scoffed at my suggestion.

"And what? Explain to them we kept this abandoned baby we had no business keeping for a few years, but we changed our minds?" She changed her tone to mock me further. "Sorry officer, I didn't know I couldn't keep random babies. We good?" Despite the conversation we both laughed at that. The bright sound of her laughter dissolved my tensions like cotton candy in water. I loved her, and we could only endure together. 

"You're right, I'm sorry. I'm just annoyed tonight was ruined for us. She's *OUR* daughter," I said. I took a hand off the wheel to reach over and grab hers. It turned out to be a dangerous move. As I entangled my fingers with hers, an oncoming semi swerved into our lane. My wife screamed. I turned hard with my left hand while trying to get my right hand onto the wheel with our fingers still locked together.

The truck drove right through us. Its headlights disappeared and I saw only darkness in front of us. I kept driving to give my mind something to focus on. I glanced over and noticed my wife's right hand was clamped to the dashboard while she breathed heavily. Her left hand gripped my right like a vice.  

"OH MY GOD!" she screamed. "What just happened??" I looked at her shrugged, still trying to sort it out myself.

"Ghost?" I asked her. She gave a half laugh, then nodded.

"I guess? Thanks to Lily, I know how weird the world is now. I guess I'm not surprised ghosts probably exist," she said. She slowly released my hand and the dash board then sat back in her seat; nerves encouraged her to fiddle with the seat belt coming over her shoulder. I kept driving. After about half an hour she relaxed and leaned her weight against me while I focused on the dark road ahead. 

"What do you think would happen to Lily?" She asked, then rested her head on my shoulder. "You know, if that was a real truck and if we didn't make it?" I shrugged slightly, not wanting to disturb her head too much. I still felt bad about what I'd said earlier. I don't know why Lily's parents abandoned her, but I'd decided I wouldn't. Near death experiences tended to highlight the positives. 

"Well, we just learned ghosts are real right?" I chuckled. "We'd just stick close to her, and make sure her foster family takes good care of her." The contented sigh in my ear told me she loved that answer. The rest of the drive home was, thankfully, uneventful. The road was hard to see sometimes, but we made it. I hadn't even turned off the car when the babysitter ran out of the house screaming.

"IT'S TOO FREAKY!" She ran down the sidewalk towards her house. She did hold on until we got there, I couldn't complain. I decided to pay her tomorrow when she calmed down. My wife and I walked into our house, both of us smiling, glad to be home. Then we turned into the den and saw a strange man playing with Lily. My wife yelped; I ran towards him.

"Who are you?" I yanked Lily, as gently as I could, from his arms and stared him down. His eyes went wide. He looked from me to my wife, our eyes staring him down with anger. He sighed, then yelled up towards the stairs.

"BABE! The foster parents died too!" 

 

***

Thank you for reading! I’m responding to prompts every day in 2018, you can find them collected on my [blog](http://hserratafun.blogspot.com/2017/10/front-page.html).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Jitters (6-23-18)

[WP] You are the greatest villain in the world. When you come face to face with your only rival, he says, “Do you want to grab a coffee before we start? I’ve haven’t eaten all day.” [ Link to post .] "I'm so glad you said something, I started late today too," The Shade said. He patted the heavy, dark leather coat over his stomach, then leaned closer to whisper at SunKnight. "Kayla's teeth are coming in, and Lucille's out of town for that thing." He shrugged, then pulled off his black, featureless hood. "I needed an extra 40 winks. Let's do a lunch, meet me at the pizzeria in 20." Keith Slinny, the man under The Shade's mask checked his watch. The rest of his black costume dissipated from his body; black smoke wafted from him like steam escaping a body in winter. "At this point, we'll end up putting it off until tomorrow so I need to book the babysitter now." "The wedding's tomorrow, remember? Let's take t

Truth and Fries (6-27-18)

[WP] Survivors of the apocalypse are still fighting for their lives; Whataburger seems to be doing alright though. [ Link to post .] "And, why do you want to work at Whataburger?" Albert Guajardo, General Manager, asked the prospective employee, Rigo Reyes, while trying to size him up. The young man sat in the booth across from Albert, wearing his best protective gear. A set of high-school football pads, and heavily wrapped arms. His cracked football helmet rested on the table.  "My girl's pregnant. I can't help rebuild humanity if I can't provide for them," Rigo said. It was not true, but it would be if he got the position. He did not have a girlfriend at the moment, but no Whataburger employee suffered loneliness for long. Even the perimeter guards that kept zombies out of the restaurant got paid enough food to support a family of four.  "Can you start now?" Albert asked. Rigo nodded eagerly, but Albert explained the situation anyway.

OooooooooooooooH. (6-28-18)

[CW] A short story with a plot twist using the letter "o" exactly 15 times. [ Link to post .] "Fredericks!" the guard yelled at the cell's inhabitants. A tall, plump man walked near the bars, his steps echoed in the cell. "That's me," Lenny Fredericks said. The guard let him pass.  "Lawyer's here, this way." The guard grabbed  Lenny's arm and guided him through the maze of walls that made up the station. He sat Lenny at a table facing a brunette woman in a black suit.  "Mr. Fredericks, I'm the lawyer handling this case. My name is Erica Quintanilla." The lawyer presented her hand, and Lenny accepted it with an eager shake.   "Nice'ta meet'cha." Lenny said. After they disengaged their handshake, Erica placed Lenny's file between them, then started her interview while scanning the sheets.  "Mr. Fredericks,-" she began. "Call me Lenny," Lenny suggested. She return