Skip to main content

Regal Purpose (1-5-18)


If you're about to kill someone you see what the world would be like without them. As a
hitman you think you've seen everything, but this kill surprises you. [Link to post.]

I aimed through the scope to center his blond head in my crosshairs, then held my breath.
I waited patiently for the Warning. Over the years I’d been able to nail the timing down. It
happened the moment I decided to pull the trigger, but before I actually did. I learned to
stay undecided until it was time. The target seemed like a decent guy. I’d been burned once
and never took dossiers at face value anymore. I did my own research before I took a job.
At 18 he was the youngest target I’d accepted, but the money was worth it. If it wasn’t his
18th birthday, I wouldn’t have accepted. I didn’t feel great about it, but I managed to stay
within my own shitty code of honor. The kid didn’t seem to be anything special or
important. Average grades in school, he lived in a stable home with both parents. His
family wasn’t rich, but he never wanted for anything.

“Nothing personal, Regal. But, happy birthday.” I made the decision, and braced myself.
The Warning generally didn’t hurt, but it affects all senses. Everything seems so real, it’s
easy to get disoriented. My vision went black and I felt cold. Then, I felt nothing. Then, my
sight returned. The duration of Warnings varies, but I’ve never encountered one that
was less than 10 seconds. This one lasted two. I stared through the scope at the young man
sitting on the park bench and chatting with his friends. “What?” I said in disbelief. The great
thing about Warnings is they can be replayed every time you intend to kill someone. Again
I decided to shoot him. My vision went black, and a shiver ran down my spine. After two
seconds I saw daylight again.

I set the rifle down and backed away from it. Something wasn’t right. I took a seat on the
rooftop and thought about what it might mean. It wasn’t hinting at my death, I knew that.
Once I learned how to control the Warnings, I of course needed to test suicide. Those were
the worst Warnings, because they actually did hurt. Your body feels the pain of your death,
without you dying. This was different, this was empty. Nothing. Despite all my research, now
I needed to talk to him. I’ve never met a mark before, but I must have missed something
in my research. I left the rooftop, taking only my pistol with me. I made my way down to the
park and walk towards Regal and his pair of friends. Two other guys that I decided to kill.
Their Warnings were unspectacular. The one on the left would have been a successful
businessman. The one on the right would was destined to massacre a church. Overall no
big losses. When I reached them, they looked up at me.

“Hi,” Regal said.

“Hi. I need to talk to you,” I replied. “Just you.” I shot both of his friends in the head. Regal
screamed and bolted away from me. I was ready and tossed binder at him. The silver ball
hit his back and exploded into straps that surrounded him. He fell to the ground, and his
momentum kept him rolling forward. He kept going, trying to get away, and I needed to
walk quickly to catch up to him. I caught him face up and put a foot on his chest.

“What’s so special about you?” I looked down at him and asked. He breathed heavily from
exertion and just stared at me, silently.

“Your Warning. It’s nothing. Why?”

“Awesome!” He smiled brightly, and it surprised me. I stepped off his chest, and he stood up
with ease, even without using his arms for balance. “You just confirmed my destiny!” He
seemed excited and hopped up and down, while bound.

“What?” I clearly didn’t do enough research on this guy.


“You can’t kill me, so you might as well let me go.”

“Of course I can kill you.” I brought the gun up to his head, and gave a visible shiver. He
smiled, and did his best to shrug with his bindings.

“Obviously you *can* but if you do, it’ll be the end of everything,” he said. He became
friendlier, more confident by the second. I shook my head.

“No. I’ve been doing this for a while, you’re not a Hope.” I’d only seen a Hope once. People
that can prevent various apocalypses. The one I found was destined to cure a plague that
hadn’t even started yet. That Warning was horribly bleak. The world became a wasteland of
bones. Plants, animals, humans. All gone. Hopes were off limits, and government protected.
Not that they really needed it. No one wants the end of the human race. He seemed to
have some clues about himself, so I decided to let him go. I could kill him any time if I
needed to. I pressed a button to release the binder. The coils disappeared back into the
ball and it fell to the floor. He waved his arms around, enjoying the freedom.

“I didn’t say the end of humanity, or the world. I said the end of EVERYTHING. My dad told
me stories, but I didn’t believe any of them. Not until you saw my Warning,” he said. He
stuck his hand out in greeting. “My name is Regal. I’m a Sol, and I guess I’m destined to
save the universe.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch Jitters (6-23-18)

[WP] You are the greatest villain in the world. When you come face to face with your only rival, he says, “Do you want to grab a coffee before we start? I’ve haven’t eaten all day.” [ Link to post .] "I'm so glad you said something, I started late today too," The Shade said. He patted the heavy, dark leather coat over his stomach, then leaned closer to whisper at SunKnight. "Kayla's teeth are coming in, and Lucille's out of town for that thing." He shrugged, then pulled off his black, featureless hood. "I needed an extra 40 winks. Let's do a lunch, meet me at the pizzeria in 20." Keith Slinny, the man under The Shade's mask checked his watch. The rest of his black costume dissipated from his body; black smoke wafted from him like steam escaping a body in winter. "At this point, we'll end up putting it off until tomorrow so I need to book the babysitter now." "The wedding's tomorrow, remember? Let's take t

Truth and Fries (6-27-18)

[WP] Survivors of the apocalypse are still fighting for their lives; Whataburger seems to be doing alright though. [ Link to post .] "And, why do you want to work at Whataburger?" Albert Guajardo, General Manager, asked the prospective employee, Rigo Reyes, while trying to size him up. The young man sat in the booth across from Albert, wearing his best protective gear. A set of high-school football pads, and heavily wrapped arms. His cracked football helmet rested on the table.  "My girl's pregnant. I can't help rebuild humanity if I can't provide for them," Rigo said. It was not true, but it would be if he got the position. He did not have a girlfriend at the moment, but no Whataburger employee suffered loneliness for long. Even the perimeter guards that kept zombies out of the restaurant got paid enough food to support a family of four.  "Can you start now?" Albert asked. Rigo nodded eagerly, but Albert explained the situation anyway.

OooooooooooooooH. (6-28-18)

[CW] A short story with a plot twist using the letter "o" exactly 15 times. [ Link to post .] "Fredericks!" the guard yelled at the cell's inhabitants. A tall, plump man walked near the bars, his steps echoed in the cell. "That's me," Lenny Fredericks said. The guard let him pass.  "Lawyer's here, this way." The guard grabbed  Lenny's arm and guided him through the maze of walls that made up the station. He sat Lenny at a table facing a brunette woman in a black suit.  "Mr. Fredericks, I'm the lawyer handling this case. My name is Erica Quintanilla." The lawyer presented her hand, and Lenny accepted it with an eager shake.   "Nice'ta meet'cha." Lenny said. After they disengaged their handshake, Erica placed Lenny's file between them, then started her interview while scanning the sheets.  "Mr. Fredericks,-" she began. "Call me Lenny," Lenny suggested. She return